What values will guide your life? What principles will you follow?
There are many ways to list out your values. Here's a recent list I composed, that conveys not just values but how they should be practiced. Some additional resources are listed, to aid those to begin to explore these practices.
THE 3 WAYS IN WHICH WE SHOULD PERCEIVE THE WORLD AROUND US:
- Listen, to be fully present whenever another person is speaking, be it a peer, colleague, friend or family member. Aspire to become one of the best listeners in the world. [Search YouTube for videos about empathetic listening.]
- Be ever curious. Keep a beginner’s mind, and nurture the habits and attitudes that sustain a curious mind and an open heart. [Search YouTube for "How Important is it to be curious" - a short interview of Bill Gates.]
- Embrace change, to create a mindset that seeks and welcomes opportunities for yourself and the members of any team or organization of which you are a part. [Read the book, "Who Moved My Cheese?"
THE 3 COMMITMENTS WE SHOULD MAKE TO OURSELVES AND TO OTHERS:
- Seek mastery, to commit yourself to fully developing the skills, expertise and wisdom to excel in your profession. [And it all begins with excellent written and oral communication skills. See the YouTube video: "Communication Skills - How to Improve Communications Skills - 7 Unique Tips." Also see the YouTube video, "Big Talk" by Kalina.]
- Be confident. Self-confidence is a skill. [See the YouTube video, "The skill of self confidence, Dr. Ivan Joseph. And if you are not self-confident in the moment, fake it to you make it! Also, remember to not let others tear you down, and avoid excessive self-judgment as well.]
- Commit to radical responsibility. Make clear agreements with yourself, and with your peers and with others, and bind yourself to honoring those agreements. Practice, and master, self-control and grit - for they may well be the key factors in your success in life. [Watch the YouTube videos, "Sesame Street Tells You How to Get to Sunnier Days Financially," and "Grit: the power of passion and perseverance" by Angela Lee Duckworth.]
THE 3 PRACTICES WE SHOULD UNDERTAKE EACH DAY:
- Practice gratitude, openly express thankfulness for the richness of your life and the gift of others both great and small. [Search for videos on YouTube: Oprah Winfrey Gratitude Journal.]
- Expand your comfort zone, by doing one thing each day that “scares you.” This is especially useful for introverts. [Watch the video: Marcus Taylor, Measuring Comfort Zones, on YouTube. Then watch, "100 days without fear" by Michelle Poler.]
- Ask “How Can I Help?” If we were to treat everyone, each day, like they were hurting, then we wouldn’t miss by much. We can find much happiness in helping others. [For just one example, search YouTube for: "Happiness is helping others" - posted by Haytham Ibrahim]
THE 3 CORE VALUES WE SHOULD EMBRACE AT ALL TIMES:
- Strive for positivity, because being positive and happy promotes greater learning, greater achievements, and greater success, in all aspects of life. [Watch the video, The happy secret to better work, by Shawn Achor.]
- Plan out and enjoy the journey. Live your life by design, not be default, to enjoy a happy and fulfilling life. [Watch these videos: "The Time You Have (in JellyBeans)", and any video about setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals.]
- Most important - act with integrity, because all successful relationships are built on trust. And trust, when violated, can never be fully restored. [While teaching integrity requires more than short videos allow, there are many benefits from integrity - for an indication, watch the YouTube video by Kevin Lott, "Integrity Gets You Everything!"]