Search This Blog
Saturday, May 17, 2014
Fiduciary Rulemaking: "What Can I Do?"
Often the Steering Group members of The Committee for the Fiduciary Standard are asked for ideas on what others can do to aid in the application and enforcement, by the DOL and/or the SEC, of bona fide fiduciary standards to all providers of financial and investment advice. Here’s a short list of opportunities, which we hope you consider and undertake:
1. Join with your colleagues in the Financial Planning Association’s Advocacy Day, June 24, 2014, in Washington, DC. Visit http://www.onefpa.org/advocacy/Pages/Advocacy-Day.aspx
2. Join with your colleagues at the Investment Adviser Association’s 7th Annual IAA Lobbying Day, June 12, 2014, in Washington, DC. Visit https://www.investmentadviser.org for details.
3. Assemble a few colleagues yourself, and visit your U.S. Senator and/or U.S. Representative in their district offices. These visits often have more impact than visits to the same Senators/Representatives on Capitol Hill.
4. Obtain The Committee for the Fiduciary Standard’s Fiduciary Oath, at http://www.thefiduciarystandard.org/fiduciary-oath/. Sign it, and send it with a cover letter (see the web site for a suggested form) to all of your clients and media contacts. Incorporate the fiduciary oath into your client services agreement and/or Form ADV, Part 2A.
5. Join “The Committee for the Fiduciary Standard” on LinkedIn. Visit our LinkedIn page regularly for updates and links to articles about the fiduciary standard.
We thank you in advance, for all that you do. Together it is possible to make a difference.